Every summer 4-H youth can apply for the amazing opportunity to experience life in another country by living abroad with a host family for one month. All programs are chaperoned by a trained 4-H adult volunteer, who remains in-country with the delegation during the exchange for support and assistance. Interested in traveling abroad? Contact us and we’ll get you more information.
Benefits of the Exchange
- Learn about another culture and way of living first-hand by experiencing daily life as a member of a family in a different country
- Better understand yourself and your own culture
- Become more informed on global issues
- Increase self-esteem and confidence by learning to adapt to new situations and ways of communication
- Foster positive cross-cultural attitudes that enhance mutual understanding and acceptance of all people
- Develop long-lasting friendships and memories that will last a lifetime!
Outbound Programs Offered in 2020:
Click on a country to get more information on travel opportunities: ***2020 INFO FLIERS COMING SOON***
How much does it cost?
- The cost varies depending on the program. Approximate cost information for specific countries is listed here and on the application. Wisconsin 4-H requires that delegates fundraise at least $1000 toward the cost of their exchange, though delegates can choose to fundraise up to the total cost. See the Raising Financial Support guide for more detailed information.
Do youth travel alone?
- All exchanges are chaperoned by a trained 4-H Adult Adviser staying with another family in the country. Each exchange program offered by WI 4-H has an extensive support network for traveling youth, including hosting organizations, chaperone(s), and the Wisconsin 4-H International Programs office. Adults interested in being Advisors can apply on the “Applications & Forms” page.
How are host families selected?
- Host families are selected by the partnering organization in the country that the youth will be traveling to. The process varies from country to country, but all of 4-H’s partnering organizations ensure that our traveling youth have safe and supportive homes abroad.
When are applications due?
- All applications are due to the State 4-H Office by November 20th for those wishing to participate in a program the following summer.
International Internships with Partnering Organizations
Adults of all ages: Short-term internships in Japan, Korea, or Mexico with LEX
For more information, contact: email@example.com
WI 4-H International Programs Assistants: 608-262-2491